Apart from its interior decoration, St. Nicholas Church survived history almost unchanged. But by the end of the 19th century, the condition of the building became critical and for the first time major construction measures were due. In 1873, the St. Nicholas Church was to be stylized to make the original Gothic church hall prominent once again. From 1907 to 1909, craftsmen renovated the tower, the roof structure and uncovered the medieval paintings in the nave. In contrast to the original restoration, the architects allowed the variety of styles – from high Gothic to Empire – to stand side by side on equal footing. New additions were the St. Nicholas window and an organ on the gallery in the west.
The St. Nicholas Church before (1908) and after the restoration (1909), view of the choir on the eastern side
St. Nicholas Church before (1908) and after the restoration (1909), west side view of the organ gallery