Born in Anklam
In the Middle Ages, the baptismal font was not located at this spot. It stood in the western part of the church, as far away from the choir as possible. Even though the new-born child was considered innocent, it was feared that evil could find a way to enter the Church. With the Reformation, the choir lost its central importance. The baptismal font was therefore also installed in the choir area and thus the baptismal font in the St. Nicholas Church found its way into the northern secondary choir. Until the destruction of the church in April 1945, a coloured wooden baptismal font had its place here. It had a cover that could be raised by a rope. A similar basin built of sandstone is still located in St. Mary’s Church in Anklam today.